[Bf-python] GSoC BPy ideas?

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Thu Mar 15 23:34:09 CET 2007

Now that we're officially a SoC organization, I looked at the Blender
2007 SoC project wiki and see that only a few projects involve python,
and those are importer/exporters.  Should we put up a few others?  Some
possible ones which come to mind (just as suggestions):

1) A "simple" scripting interface for non-Python programmers.  Something
which lets them use basic operations:
   >> obj1 = addPlane()
   >> obj2 = addCube()
   >> obj2.addMaterial()
   >> join(obj1,obj2)
   >> obj1.setLoc(1.0,0.0,0.0)
   This can (should?) be coded entirely in Python.
2) Python plugins: extend the plugin system (for textures and sequencer)
so it can call python scripts.  Maybe do something similar with the node
editor.  I keep forgetting what Nathan's PyNode stuff does, maybe it's
already doing this.
3) Python modifiers.  Ability to add a python script to the modifier stack.
4) Thin wrappers for other Blender modules.  Again, nodes and sequencer
come to mind, but maybe also surfaces, etc?

Offhand I don't know the difficulty of half of these projects, but I'm
betting most could be done pretty well in three months.

Ken