constructors (Re: [Bf-python] More Proposed API changes.)

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Tue Mar 13 18:18:17 CET 2007

Ken Hughes wrote:
> I'm OK with calling this an "API update" as opposed to a "API redesign".
>  But we should probably decide where to draw the line between the two.

The line is: we try hard not to break backwards compatibility. Of course
the "cleanup" part of the update will force breaking some things, but
overall we can consider these "fixes" instead of an API redesign.

> BTW, who are our benevolent dictator(s)?

Ton :). At least for things that involve the "Blender way" and affect
other parts of the program. Here we can keep deciding as a team, that
has worked well, we just have to make sure we're all discussing the same
things.

>> But "object", "mesh" and so on are very common var names used in lots
>> of scripts out there. Upper case wouldn't work either, because of the
>> problem with module names, again.
>
> I don't follow this.  I can see how "from bpy import *" could cause
> confusion if used in conjunction with "from Blender import *" since
> Object is in both name spaces, but isn't that the case with any module?
>     Same for "object".

First, imo, the potential for confusion if we use such common words like
object, mesh, camera, etc. is relevant specially at this point, where
many programmers out there are already familiar with BPython and there
are so many written scripts. Updating these scripts also becomes more
troublesome, having also to find / rename vars. Using
scene.objects.new(), etc. doesn't bring this problem at all.

--
Willian