[Bf-python] A python25.zip file is needed for the current, CVS

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Thu Mar 1 03:02:23 CET 2007

Hi, a few more comments

Reiterating: bundling some default modules weights almost nothing and
allows users to run hundreds of useful scripts, including almost all of
the ones we ship. That's good. For thousands out there this is simply
enough, why bother them? They may never even download a script and only
need a few of the bundled ones.

Python modules are not all the same. Some are key, some are useful, many
we don't care about, some are undesired.

Bundling the whole Python set wouldn't even be enough. We'd have a lot
of useless ones and still wouldn't cover what more demanding gfx related
scripts may need (3rd party extensions to read / write image formats, to
  apply filters on image buffers, etc. etc.). Worse: we don't change
Python all the time, so users would re-download the same thing for
Blender 2.40, 2.41, 2.42, 2.42a, etc. Consider the wasted bandwidth for
download sites, for example.

Theeth suggested a smarter install process, which checks for installed
version and offers to download Python. Not a bad idea at all, but it's
an added bonus, we should not rely totally on that. Among the many users
worldwide there are all kinds of situations where the extra download on
install wouldn't be possible at the moment or would be cumbersome (this
is a big world, there are people w/o net or still on dialup conections,
getting things at less than 3kb/s, that have to pay for local phone
calls and prefer to download things at weekends or after midnight, to
mention an example).

Alternatively, we will create the extra package of scripts, where those
requiring other modules are ok. This package's installer could do the
check / offer for Python. This would be sensible and imo fit nicely. Or
in this package we could include a bigger set of default modules and
maybe even 3rd party extensions, to cover our needs.

BTW, Campbell: struct should already be there, it's not .py, it's
hardcoded in Win Python, like many other modules. We should investigate
if it's not feasible to include what Collada 1.4 needs, too, xml would
be a nice addition.

--
Willian