[Bf-python] A python25.zip file is needed for the current CVS

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 02:02:01 CET 2007

I'm throwing ideas in the air a bit, but can't the
windows installer (ours) check for a python install
and, if one isn't available, download the installer
(Python's) and run it?

For a couple of release now, the Python installer has
been really simple (no messing with paths and all), so
that should do the job.

If the installer can't download, it could at least
provide a link to the proper download page.

If that works:
- Users don't need to "hunt" for the mystic Python
- Users don't have to worry about what version to
download, it's spoon fed to them
- We can even do version checks and what if the wrong
version of Python is installed (and then offer a
different version of Blender, if we build for
different Py versions or offer a link to the correct
Python version).

Frankly, I think shipping a small subset of the python
libs is a half baked solution, because then, if they
need to use scripts that require other modules, it's
back to square one and it often doesn't go forward
from there...

Martin