[Bf-python] A python25.zip file is needed for the current CVS

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Thu Mar 1 01:12:30 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:40:38AM +1100, Matt Ebb wrote:

> For an artist to download Blender and by default not be able to
> import or export anything would be an enormous turn-off and point of
> confusion. These days I think we should be doing as much as we can to
> encourage interoperability and make it easier for people to include
> Blender in their pipelines. We shouldn't be making this harder.

The burden of installing python is similar to the effort of installing
blender.  If they can manage to find, download and install blender, they
should be able to manage python.  For those who find google problematic
for finding things, we can provide a download link to www.python.org.

Right now, we provide windozers with a half-assed version of python - the
bare minimum needed to run our distributed scripts.  Third-party scripts
may not run due to missing modules.  If the artists start learning python
on their own, they may run into the missing module problem.  This seems
much more confusing than having to download and install something.

And no, we do not want to get into the business of providing a complete
python installation package.  The folks at www.python.org do that just
fine, thanks.

--
Stephen Swaney