[Bf-python] mesh boolean functionality (Geometry module?)

Joel Leineweber jleineweber at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 14:17:06 CET 2007

I agree ... modifiers should replace the need for this. But if that's the
case I now run into another problem. Every time I need to do a boolean I
need to create two objects in addition to the two meshes, link them up and
then get the resulting mesh. So, say I need to boolean 100 objects together
(actually a very low number for the script I'm writing) ... while I only
want the one resulting object, I'm filling up the blender library with
approximately 200 objects and since I can't delete them from the library
(only "unlink"), the script takes way too much memory and after running it
the blend file needs to be saved and reopened (sometimes twice). So if
modifiers are the only way to do booleans and similar functions, then there
should be a way to actually remove items from the blender library instead of
just unlinking them. The only other solution to this problem I can think of
is to create my own object manager class that empties and reuses datablocks
so I'm not bloating blender's library (this could slow down my script).
Anybody else have a better solution?