[Bf-python] New Constants proposal

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Wed Apr 25 18:41:03 CEST 2007

Ken Hughes wrote:
>   What will the process for deciding what goes into the new directory?
>  For example, if we're making addition to the new Object module/class,
> should we place everything which will be in the new API (including code
> from the current API) in that directory, and only leave legacy code from
> the old API (things which will be deprecated) in the old directory?

No decisions yet, these things we should always discussed by the team
somehow (so if you don't know, it should not have been decided yet ;) ).
It's much probably for after the next release, too late for 2.44. Also
probably after the cvs->svn move, since it seems to be around the corner.

Once we have the new dir, guess all agree that it'd be natural to leave
the old api2_2x/ as it is (minus the bpy stuff, plus eventual bug fixes)
for compatibility and move all new development to the new dir.

Now if we will first copy all files we still need from the old API to
the new or if we will only add new code there, as we create it, is
something yet to be decided.

Surely we have to define and document coding guidelines (helper
functions, macros, code documentation, code layout) early on for bpy.
It'll be great to have nice, consistent and clean source code for the
new API. After all these years things naturally got quite messy.

So a few things we can discuss:

- using tools for code checking, layout and documentation;
- having official template files to create new wrappers;
- API for our helper functions (gen utils);
- streamline our work with minimal, very simple tasks: keep a todo page,
document commits when they happen, etc. (all in the wiki?)

--
Willian