[Bf-python] COLLADA curve export (was: 3D curve formats)

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Apr 16 07:40:45 CEST 2007

Just another update on this for anyone who's interested.

I ended up re-writing my script to export to COLLADA format, rather
than a MaxScript. This doesn't solve the importing back into Blender,
but is a bit easier to use from within max and should be more
generally useful for use with other apps too. I don't have a huge
amount of time to work on this, and the existing COLLADA scripts in
Blender are both very complex, so rather than attempting to extend
those, I just made my own that exports curves only. If the maintainers
of the existing COLLADA scripts would like to use my script to help
add curve support to theirs, that would be great.

The COLLADA import plugin I'm using for Max is ColladaMax [1] based on
the open source FCollada library. Unfortunately it seems that it's a
bit old and doesn't follow the COLLADA 1.4 100% properly. Since the
whole point of this script is for me to get curves into Max, I've made
the script support that plugin's idiosyncrasies rather than the
standard. Hopefully it will be updated in the future and I can update
the script.

Anyway, it's the first exporter I've made, and I didn't use any fancy
XML libraries so it's probably quite rough around the edges. If anyone
would like to tear it to pieces and tell me how it could be better,
I'd be grateful for the educational experience!

It's at http://mke3.net/projects/bpython/export_curves_fcollada-1.0.py

cheers,

Matt

[1] http://www.feelingsoftware.com/content/view/65/79/lang,en/