[Bf-python] API refactoring considerations

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Wed May 31 17:16:15 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 06:22:35PM -0700, Ken Hughes wrote:

> (1).. maybe
> it's time to start having attribute getters returning boolean when they
> really are booleans?

Another vote for returning booleans.  Consider it an example of the
"be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you return"
principle

> (2) [clamp values or thow an exception]

dislaimer: I'm still drinking coffee this morning, so consider
this part as being without actual conscious thought.

I kind of like the idea of clamping inputs.  Throwing an
exception seems rather harsh.  A similar phyisical
analogue would be like cranking the stereo up to 11.  As
long as you don't torque the knob to hard, you get MAX_VALUE.

It might be nice for clamped setters to return the actual
value just in case the script actually cares.  Just a thought.

/me promises to look at the bitfield wiki stuff later
this evening.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net