[Bf-python] undefined symbol when importing C defined Python modulein Blender

Gilbert, Joseph T. jgilbert at tigr.ORG
Wed Jun 28 19:55:55 CEST 2006

IIRC python linked libraries can be compiled with/with-out Unicode
support....

-----Original Message-----
From: bf-python-bounces at projects.blender.org
[mailto:bf-python-bounces at projects.blender.org] On Behalf Of Jiba
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:46 PM
To: bf-python at projects.blender.org
Subject: [Bf-python] undefined symbol when importing C defined Python
modulein Blender

Hi all,

When trying to import Python module written in C from blender, I get
"undefined symbol" errors. Here is an example:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Text", line 1, in ?
  File "/home/jiba/src/soya/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
    import sys, os, os.path, weakref,cPickle as pickle
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/cPickle.so: undefined
symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsUTF8String

I get the same problem with other C defined module like Twisted. Another
person report me the same problem, but with a different symbol and
location (ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/operator.so:
undefined symbol: _PyArg_NoKeywords).

Both problems have been fixed by running blender as following:

    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libpython2.4.so.1.0 blender

I am using Blender 2.41, version Linux i386 2.3.2, dynamic, Python 2.4.
Is it normal that blender doesn't seems to load
/usr/lib/libpython2.4.so.1.0 by itself ? Should I report this as a bug ?

Jiba