[Bf-python] removing scripts...

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 12:30:47 CEST 2006

On the issue of new development practices for scripts. . .

My understanding, is that bf-script-dev and the script sections on the
wiki were originally intended to help get authors more involved, and
setup a better development process for bpy scripts (these attempts have
clearly failed, if those was the intentions).

So far all the ideas for a better system seems to be coming from the
people who, frankly, bear most of the work of maintaining the overall
quality of blender python scripts, which at the moment is both a HUGE
job, and an inherit source of potential conflicts with script authors.
It seems to me that one way to make this easier would be to write a
detailed bpy script standards document on the wiki, that script authors
must follow for scripts that are included with blender.  Mere
suggestions wouldn't be on this page, it would only list requirements
(there's plenty of suggestions in the epydocs).

As there seems to be a problem with script ownership, I think there
should be a special tracker where people can submit scripts as tracker
items, and where they claim "ownership" of them (maybe by assigning the
script to themselves).  If a script gets abandoned, or if the author no
longer wishes to maintain it, then someone else can assign the tracker
entry to themself.  This also sets up an easy direct line to the author
for bug reports, as any comments made by users will be emailed to the
script authors who manage the script tracker item (unless they turn that
feature off of course).

Heh.  We could use the tracker system as mini-project hosting.  Like an
ultra-miniature sourceforge. :)

Btw, ss there a separate bug tracker for python scripts?  There should be.

Joe