[Bf-python] Changing confusing python console start-up message

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sat Jul 8 18:22:41 CEST 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:54:07AM -0300, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:

> Ken Hughes wrote:
> >
> >So should we print an error to the console if we don't import the right
> >site?  Or throw an exception inside RunPython whenever the user tries to
> >run a script?
>
> Guess what Stephen means is that he still believes Python can reliably
> find the right modules and it's better to leave it for them (Python
> developers). That's my impression, too, that error was strange.

Sorry for not elaborating; my sister and her husband were insisting
I come drink beer with them.

Here is my thinking:

The fundamental difference between py versions is that the py type object
struct changes size.

Consider that py lists are implemented as arrays.  If different parts
of python have different ideas about the size of array elements, this
is a recipe for trouble.

If the only thing we get when we 'import site' is pure text modules
(.py files), we are probably ok, subject to the issues like the
existence or non-existence of sets.

If we are getting compiled modules ( .so or .dll ) from different
version, then this is a recipe for trouble.

This is why I doubt that python is importing modules from the wrong
version and that this bug is an anomaly or exceptional local case.

> About the msg, "Compiled with" or something like that is a good idea.

Yeah!

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net