[Bf-python] Changing confusing python console start-up message

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Fri Jul 7 20:27:59 CEST 2006

Was looking at bug report 4398 ("console message for python version
tracking")

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4398&group_id=9&atid=125

The initial report was based on the user being confused by the console
messages.

I'm proposing before the release we change the messages to indicate the
build-in Python version and the installed Python version.  I've added a
simple test inside init_syspath which checks the methods defined in the
site module to determine the version:

      printf("Looking for Python installation... ");
      mod = PyImport_ImportModule( "site" );  /* new ref */
      if( mod ) {
         if( PyDict_GetItemString(PyModule_GetDict(mod),"addsitepackages") )
             printf( "found version 2.4.\n" );
         else if( PyDict_GetItemString(PyModule_GetDict(mod),"sitedirs") )
             printf( "found version 2.3 or earlier.\n" );
         else
             printf( "found version 2.2 or earlier.\n" );
         Py_DECREF( mod );
     } else
	print warning.....

I also changed the "looking for" message to "Internal Python interpreter
version".  I think at the very least we should change this.

Ken