[Bf-python] Last minute addition

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Jul 2 08:00:24 CEST 2006

All valid points, but your kind of missing some issues that casued me to
add it.
1) Mesh.fill() requires an object and mesh data, cycles editmode on and
off and is also tagged experemental.
This means that for every fgon in an imported model it needs to go and
create mesh data, a new object, add the verts then edges, fill in the
data, get the faces indicies and return them. then clean up the mesh,
object, restore  editmode data.

2) I have tested 500+ lightwave files out of 1700 that I have to import.
many of these use a lot of fgons  so this function can be called a lot
for each import. I have tested with .fill() and PolyFill() - polyfill is
of course a lot faster, and dosent make the cursor flicker (seterate
issue with cycline editmode a lot).

Having good (fast+high quality) importers for blender is important, this
fuction effects Lightwave and Obj.

When testing fill() I kept on finding bugs and fill crashed blender - (3
seperate bugs in fill()) - its good that blenders scanfill is now more
stable, but directly  accessing the function is much neater.
In exasperation! - (trying to get these importers not to crash with
blenders fill()), I asked Ton (who fixedall the bugs) if I could  just
access scanfill directly and add a hook in python. he seemd to think
this would be okay, and gave me some help adding it in.

The PolyFill Function its self isnt that complex, I have tested on
importing meny models with no crashes.

If you guys want Ill remove if but Im just putting forward a rationale
for adding it in the first place, and that I added it when fixing bugs
in Lightwave importer for release.

Could we move it to BGL? Seems more closly linked to BGL then Draw.

- Cam