[Bf-python] new python development path

Gilbert, Joseph T. jgilbert at tigr.ORG
Thu Feb 9 20:33:28 CET 2006

This was suggested before. Something like: from __future__ import
blender2.5 or something.

I don't know if this would work or not. There might by namespace or
typeobject name conflicts if you import blender and blenderdev at the
same time. If you had this feature the development section would need

1) it's own separate internal file structure in the code with a copy of
all the python files (I think we are planning this anyway)
2) possibly development specific type object naming for namespace
conflicts (would have to investigate)
3) it's own 'blender' init module added to the initialization table for
the interpreter.

It would be nice to have the development api importable as a from
__future__. This would save people the headache of development api
changes constantly sneaking in. The old api would be replaced at some
set time (this would take care of deprecation too) and script writers
could test the dev features in the meantime.

It def. would not make _less_ work for developers that's for sure but it
would make the user's life easier.

IF/DEF is not a good idea IMHO. This will simply make the code
unreadable. If we do a separate dev section of the code it needs it's
own file hierarchy.