[Bf-python] Depreceing... and other proposed changes

Gilbert, Joseph T. jgilbert at tigr.ORG
Fri Aug 18 17:26:20 CEST 2006

1) No problems with 'undeprecating' vector.negate
2) Armature.New() is the 'factory' class generation method that I
thought we were trying to move away from.
The correct way of creating a class should be with tp_new and tp_init
where tp_init will take raw data as the initializer for the class.

example:

myrandomobject = ObjectType(initializer_data)

instead of:

myrandomobject = Module.New()

-----Original Message-----
From: bf-python-bounces at projects.blender.org
[mailto:bf-python-bounces at projects.blender.org] On Behalf Of Campbell
Barton
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:52 AM
To: Blender Foundation Python list
Subject: [Bf-python] Depreceing... and other proposed changes

Hi, a few things I'd like to discuss

Can we depricate NMesh.PutRaw() -
Too many scripts use this in a way that could overwrite existing data
(if theres a name conflict), and I dont see its that relevent anymore
since one can link an object to the scene, set the layers and select it.
-
Its also out of line with other objects and keeps scripters  from being
'scene aware'

Can we make -vec  return a copy and un-depricate vec.negate(), -vec
should not modify wrapped data.

..other changes....

Add Mesh.Unlink(me) for zero user meshes only. current way meshes work
is good but in some cases- BPyMesh.getMeshFromObject() - still needs to
link to an object for triangulating which means it will not be
de-allocated,

Add Armature.New()

Change the way Object data linking works by changing Object.New()

    currently..

    ob= Object.New('Mesh')
    scn.link(ob)
    data= ob.data

    propose we pass the data to the object instead so objects can never
    exist without data

    data= Mesh.New()
    ob= Object.New(data)
    scn.link(ob)

    This way the objects type is dictated by its data type so no need to
    pass a string. and its also saves an extra ob.link().

- Cam