[Bf-python] Project suggestions (thinmesh maybe?)

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Sat Sep 17 21:25:24 CEST 2005

Hi Ken,

You've been playing major role for the next bpython release, thanks a
lot for that.

About a new mesh module, I've been thinking frequently about it these
days, because of the recent trouble with nmesh.update(). Writing the new
module to the point of having something fast and useful for many
applications should not take that long.

If you want to tackle this I can help with any troubles.

Basic idea is to have it as a thin wrapper (like Camera, Lamp, etc. etc.
modules) over mesh data (mesh, verts, faces, edges). The name could be
Blender.Mesh, simply. Verts, edges and faces (let's call them elements
here) would be subtypes, mesh.verts would be a list with proper methods
(assignment, slice, etc.) to keep memory usage as small as possible,
equiv. for mesh.edges and mesh.faces.

As a first milestone while developing, a first version of the module
doesn't need to deal with creation / deletion of elements. Being able to
move verts around is already a useful feature for many scripts. To deal
with deletion / addition, we should take a good look at how Blender
itself is doing things and if possible try to use that.

One issue is deformed data. In NMesh there's a function to get deformed
verts, you know. Something equiv. should be available in the new module.

Anyway, discussing Mesh before writing it is not a bad idea and this is
a good time for it, so you all are more than invited to give
suggestions, of course.

BTW, Martin (theeth) also was interested in a new mesh module and he
wrote gmesh, so he probably has ideas to share.

--
Willian