[Bf-python] Project suggestions (thinmesh maybe?)

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Fri Sep 16 22:18:32 CEST 2005

First some brief history:

I'm an associate professor of computer engineering at University of the
Pacific, and I'm on my sabbatical this fall.  I've also been a casual
Blender user since early 2003.  I decided I wanted to put these two
things together and devote part of my sabbatical to getting involved
with code development in Blender.  The bad news is my administration
expects me to have something to show for this come January.

So since March I've been lurking here in the BPy ML, trying to learn the
API, Blender's internals (via BPy API hooks) and in general looking for
a place to be useful.  So I've been looking for things to do.  I've
coded patches to extend the functions of the Curve and Ipo API and have
been working on the "grunt work" of converting the API to use tp_getset
(to replace the getAttr/setAttr and eventually maybe
getStuff()/setStuff() methods).  I'm getting close to the end of that also.

To the point:  one programmer looking for work.

I'm looking for another project to work on while the previous patches
are reviewed.  One thing which has come up again recently in this list
is the NMesh module.  I looked back through the ML archives and only
found a brief discussion of the "thin mesh" idea from May 2005.  I know
this certainly isn't a trivial subject to tackle, but seems to be one
which would be beneficial to users.  But I'm open to any area where I
can be useful and keep busy.  Only 10 weeks left on my sabbatical.