[Bf-python] RE: action / NLA api

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sun Nov 13 19:05:46 CET 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 16:57, Gilbert, Joseph wrote:
> The object is called BPy_Action that we are talking about (same thing as
> action strip). I don't like the word strip because it has more
> connotations than Action.

strips are different from actions.

i first thought the matching would be somehow done with strips, not modifying
the actual actions themselves.

now i dont know how the implementation works exactly: is the plan to somehow
offset the use of the action by a strip, and if yes, how? or modify the
action itself?

> unique names. I would not use BPy_Bone objects as input.

hm .. i usually think that object references are better than name strings. are
you referring to some implementational difficulties in doing that?

> It might be better to extract the ipo channels from an Action and mark
> one as a matchbone or however.
> Action.ipochannels['bone1'].setMatchbone().

perhaps. except that here Roland Hess says something contradicting:

> The match bone is a property of the Action Strip. It uses the already

so the matching is not about actions per se, but about how they are in NLA via
the strips. or?

btw, now it is official: object actions in bf-blender cvs, so actions are not
about armatures anymore. i guess we should still work the 2.4 api to match
that somehow.

a bit cluelessly still,
~Toni