[Bf-python] short term goals

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Mon Jun 20 18:25:13 CEST 2005

I added a Road Map section to the wiki under Future Directions.

For short term goals, here are my suggestions:

* move to python 2.4

Python 2.4 is past its initial release.  This is the version that
people will install by hand.  I believe Debian, however, just did a
major release that includes 2.3.

* joseph's math stuff

There is a lot of good work here, but we simply did not have time to
test it and iron out all the wrinkles before release.  I wept openly
while doing the cvs rollback.

* Unification of Curve Types

Similar objects should have similar public interfaces.  IPOs vs Curves
is a good place to apply this principle.  Discussion in on the wiki at
http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/IpoVsCurve

* ScriptHandlers for all Space types

Willian probably has more to say about this

* Use of getset table for attribute access.

Replaces search thru list of attribute names by a table lookup.
Provides consistent access to members, speeds up method calls,
attrs show up automagically with dir().

* Thin Mesh

Current mesh implementation makes py copies of C data.  The overhead
of doing this is too great for large meshes.  A large part of this
overhead is simply creating bpy structures that are simple copies of
Blender data.  A symptom of this overead is that we had to create an
Object.Get(name, nameonly=true) method.  A thin mesh implementation
would access Blender data directly.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net