[Bf-python] getRestMatrix() "fix"? (Was: Python -- Orientation problems.)

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Wed Jun 8 08:02:57 CEST 2005

I spent some time today trying to see if I could understand what's
happening here and how to fix it.  This is pretty difficult when
you (or at least I) can't find any documentation on how armatures
work and the Bone.py doc is ambiguous.  So here's how I interpret
the getRestMatrix('bonespace') should work:
    * the translation is the offset between a bone's head and its
      parent's head, relative to the parent's coordinate system
    * the rotation is the rotation relative to the parent

So for the bonebug.blend file in bug tracker #2230, I made a
patch which works, based on the above interpretation.  I uploaded
for testing to http://projects.blender.org/sharea/index.php?
(see patch-Bone.c)

Could someone try this, or if I interpreted what it should do
wrong, at least give me some examples of what the output SHOULD
be so I know what to look for?

Ken