[Bf-python] Python -- Orientatoin problems.

Gilbert, Joseph jgilbert at tigr.org
Tue Jun 7 17:36:13 CEST 2005

I don't remember the whole issue, it's been a while now, but the rolls
are not being propagated correctly from parent to child. I don't
remember exactly y but it had something to do with the fact that bones
are stored as axis/angles but they are drawn (and parented) using the
bone's matrix, and the rolls are being set incorrectly in the children
because of this. It has to do with the decomposition of a parented child
matrix into the correct axis/angle I think. Or something like that lol.

Also at issues with the armature module is its lack of IK support, its
poor ability to deal with the rest pose, and it simplistic capacity for
adding key frames (which is more of a hack). It works, but just. (I can
be critical here :) Add to that the way that NLA works (which is truly
bizarre).

However, previously there was NO support for dealing with armatures and
key frames at all (other than the ability to 'wrap' them) however these
2 modules still have many issues have yet to be resolved and this is one
of them (a BIG one of them). The internal Bone/Armature code is 9*d
awful which adds to the troubles of writing a good python wrapper.