[Bf-python] Introducing the BPyC (a script repository)

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Jul 29 06:44:01 CEST 2005

Hi Levi,

This is surely a topic that interests me (guess I could say us all).
Excuse me for taking so long to reply, time is short on my side until
about Sep. 15 or so.

First of all, welcome :).  Blender Python API and this list make a good
entrance door to Blender development, feel free to ask any questions you
might have.

I agree with all 6 reasons you mention and would specially stress this
point: many good scripts are not developed to the point they should be,
meaning: good interface and documentation, bugs fixed, more options,
etc.  As we think and even Ton reminds us now and then, bundled scripts
should  integrate smoothly with Blender, following its own practices as
close as possible.

Right now we're starting an overhaul of the API that will much probably
mean breaking compatibility in some places in favor of a better and
cleaner design, using newer Python facilities (getsetters) and gained
experience.  We're taking this chance because Blender itself is going
though changes that will break compatibility in some parts, animation
for example.

After this it would be ideal to start collecting all updated, well
tested and documented scripts in a single repository (or a few of
them).  So it's about time to discuss and plan how to do this.  We
already have many facilities available (project at projects.blender.org,
scripts at blender3d.org, an interested community and so on).

But still the main issue is getting people to participate in this
effort, having basically one person handling it is a weak point.  It's a
little tricky, since authors rightfully want their good scripts
included, but we have issues to solve (needed modules, testing,
requirements related to Blender practices and what fits in, etc.).

Help is surely welcome.  I'd say it would be good now to consider what
kind of repository we can have, what we need.  Other developers have
already come up with interesting projects, so that can be a good start.

--
Willian