[Bf-python] Const dict arguments

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Wed Jul 20 16:52:05 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:30:32AM -0300, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:

> So if we all agree that what we are discussing is an overhaul of the
> API, I suggest that compatibility, though always very important, should
> not be the main focus *this time*.  What do you all think?  Script
> authors are also welcome to express their opinions, of course.

Agreed.  The goal here is to create a go-forward platform for the
future.  Backward compatibility, while important, is definitely *not*
the goal.  Python itself is evolving in areas like the removing old
distinction between types ( particularly user-defined types ) and
classes.  We should take advantage of this in BPy.

When we are finished with this phase, the types for x.attr=y attribute
access will be different in many cases.  I would like to keep the old
x.setStuff() interface around unchanged as long as we can reasonably
support it, but I feel tp_getset is the future.

I also feel supporting and maintaining both tp_getset and x.setStuff()
interfaces in parallel is wasted effort.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net