[Bf-python] Const dict arguments (was: short term goals)

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Wed Jul 20 04:31:15 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 02:43:15PM -0700, Ken Hughes wrote:

> I agree with the const dicts, but I foresee a problem with backward
> compatibility for getters.  We can make x.setStuff() accept the old
> and new argument types, but what type should x.getStuff() return
> (same applies to "val = x.stuff")?  Should we leave well enough alone?
> Should there be an attribute x.paramType which the user can set to
> use const dicts instead?

For now, we will leave the x.getStuff() interface alone and focus on
the tp_getset methods.  The x.getStuff() code will be our legacy API.
Over time, this will become deprecated and the direct attribute access
will be our preferred interface.  This will probably mean some
duplicated code, but we can live with that.

Our users have a lot of time and energy invested in scripts.  Since
the users are the whole point of this bpy exercise, we need to try to
cause them as little pain as possible while still moving bpy forward.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net