[Bf-python] short term goals

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Tue Jul 19 05:18:57 CEST 2005

Hi Ken,

Stephen and I discussed a little during yesterday's meeting.  It is a
good time to consider an overhaul, making the API more consistent and
clean, based on things we've learned and feedback from users.  A wiki
page and a forum thread will be used to collect suggestions so we can
get a clear picture of all needed changes.  Specifically about
getsetters, Stephen suggested that it could be done already, but for now
we'd also keep the old get/setStuff().  There are a few issues like
defining strict practices for arguments and return values, but these can
be solved later w/o much work, if you'd like to start soon on this.

For example, there's a mix of const dicts (ex: Window.Types, etc.) and
strings (ex: camera.type) being passed as arguments.  It'd be nice to
stick to just one alternative and we favor const dicts (open for
discussion, of course).

Stephen may have something to add about our chat, not sure I reproduced
the results well here, but a suggestion then is that you could add
getsetters but w/o removing old get/setStuff for now.  It should be
trivial to do it at once soon.  Simultaneosly we can start asking the
community and feeding info to a wiki page and when you're back with your
experience on this we can set a plan.

Ken Hughes wrote:

> So any suggestions for things I can work on which everyone agrees needs
> to be done, but doesn't change the existing API?
>  (1) changing over to tp_getset
>  (2) adding get/set of attributes in addition to x.getStuff()/
> x.setStuff()
>  (3) something totally different?
>
> I board my train Thursday morning Pacific time.... really would like to
> have something else to do besides stare out the window, read Harry
> Potter, and drink.
>
> Ken

Willian