[Bf-python] NMesh and edges informations

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Sat Jan 8 20:57:28 CET 2005

Stephane SOPPERA wrote:

> I still do have a problem: edges informations are lost when
> NMesh.update() is used.
> If no one have time to work on that issue, I can spend some time on
> it. But I don't want to work on that if nobody want to review and
> commit my developpements. So I'll wait until getting an answer before
> starting anything.

Hi Stephane,

Proper addition of edges to NMesh means integrating them like done for
verts and faces, you know, aka an NMEdge struct.  You're welcome to work
on it, it's needed.  It will require grabbing edge info and creating
python data from it and, when sending back to Blender, converting the
data back to Blender, but the issue is that adding this can't break
existing scripts.  And it must also work with or without edge data
present in the mesh, of course.

For example: a current script that updates a mesh's vert and face lists
but ignores its edge list shouldn't fail.  So maybe it'd be better to
add a new flag to mesh.update() to specify that edge info is present, so
new scripts can use edges if they need to, but old ones will still work.

Delete / create edges can be done with a single function call in
Blender, we can use that for general cases internally and maybe even
also wrap the functionality for BPython.

Anyway, we can help coding / discussing these things here.

--
Willian