[Bf-python] Pyrex - an easier way to write Python/C modules?

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Fri Jan 7 13:31:13 CET 2005

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Yann Vernier wrote:

we just talked about this on irc, and at least from where i can see, Pyrex
might really benefit working on the BPython API. much easier for Python
programmers to understand and work on, and probably easier for anyone to
make the API more 'pythonic' too (if we start adding properties etc.?)

> I messed around a while, and eventually got a drop in replacement for
> Blender.Text working. Pyrex is written in Python, and could be better

was wondering about how to proceed, and thought that perhaps Yann could
commit the replacements he's made and whatever is needed to get them work
to the newly forked Tuhopuu (tuhopuu3) so we all could see and try them
there first -- how does that sound?

perhaps the Tuhopuu admins wouldn't even mind having Pyrex as an extra
requirement for compiling? otherwise i guess it could be a build option
(while keeping the c written parts there too to enable non-pyrex build).

> integrated with scons than this - it already has a module to extend
> distutils.
> http://nz.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/

Yann also now mentioned http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/pyrexdoc/ which
would get rid of the need to separately update the current doc/*. py s.

~Toni