Text3d (Re: [Bf-python] Curve.string)

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Fri Feb 11 09:47:04 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Stephen Swaney wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:26:36AM +0200, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> > started to think, as all the users are talking about it as text, and that
> kicking the idea around, I would be prepared to argue that Text3d
> should be its own bpy type separate from Curve.

i don't disagree.

like perhaps said in the post where sent the binding that made for it,
i first didn't even know that it they where internally curves, just saw
this OB_FONT type, and based on that made a Font python module ('cause
text is there already).

then found out that they were actually curves, so implemented it like that
'cause it was most straightforward i.e. easy and quick to make. this is
not goof API design, of course.

> Obviously, due to blender's implementation of text and curves, there
> would be much code sharing going on under the interface.

right

> But the fact that Text3d has some separate and distinct properties
> like a font and the text itself makes me think it should be separate
> from Curve.  I can even see Text3d having its own unique methods like
> read_from_file( fname ) to load a text object.

and Text3d is an ok name (as text is reserved, and font is something else)

> I will try to get my lazy self to put up a wiki page for this
> discussion.

from my part there is no need for discussion, if you or someone just does
the work for that :)

but surely the wiki would be a good place for draft the interface etc.
just that it should not withhold too much the publishing of the hook for
users to use.

> Stephen Swaney

~Toni

p.s. oh and even though Ton said that the curve would be the right place,
i'm sure he trusts the python team to make the correct design :) (i just
quit wondering about it and implemented after he said that)