[Bf-python] Curve.string

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Thu Feb 10 15:45:16 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:26:36AM +0200, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:
>
> started to think, as all the users are talking about it as text, and that
> is the term in ui too, if indeed the curve objects are still the correct
> place for it (like it is in the internal structure), is '.string' the
> right name for the attribute, or should it be Curve.text ? well the API is
> for programmers, tho, and even Python programmers know what strings are :)
> so perhaps it's clearest like that (also consistent with the internal .str)

Pidhash (Joilnen) and I were talking about this the other day.  After
kicking the idea around, I would be prepared to argue that Text3d
should be its own bpy type separate from Curve.

Obviously, due to blender's implementation of text and curves, there
would be much code sharing going on under the interface.

But the fact that Text3d has some separate and distinct properties
like a font and the text itself makes me think it should be separate
from Curve.  I can even see Text3d having its own unique methods like
read_from_file( fname ) to load a text object.

Another argument for a separate type is that Text3d and Curves appear
differently in the user interface.

I will try to get my lazy self to put up a wiki page for this
discussion.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net