[Bf-python] How to copy MVerts?

Tron Thomas tron.thomas at verizon.net
Mon Dec 26 20:54:30 CET 2005

I am working with export geometry from Blender.  Currently when an
object like a cube is created, Blender only provide 8 vertices for that
cube.  This means that there are only 8 normal vectors.  However each
vertex of a cube is shared between 3 different face and therefore 24
normal vectors are needed to define all the faces for the cube.  I am
interested in copying each vertex so that there will be 24 vertices with
24 normals vectors when defining the cube geometry.

By default Python creates additional references to objects rather than
copies.  Attempts to use copy.copy and copy.deepcopy on MVerts causes
run time errors.

How can I make copies of the cube vertices using the Python scripting API's?