[Bf-python] How to obtain bone pose information?

Tron Thomas tron.thomas at verizon.net
Wed Dec 21 03:36:34 CET 2005

To test exporting animation from Blender I created a simple walk cycle
that consisted of just a set of hips and legs.  I had two IK chains, one
for each leg, and an effector for each chain.  The only objects I had to
set key frames for were the base bone that connected the two hips and
the two effectors.  The animation was 60 frames long and only had 5 key
frames for animated object (i.e the base base and effectors).

Because the base bone and effectors were the only objects that had key
frames, I could not use IPO curves to determine the position for other
bones that were affected by the key frames of these bones.  I could have
baked the animation, and that would have created 6 times as much key
frame information. I felt this was unnecessary and that I could get away
with interpolating each bone between the 5 key frames already established.

What I would do in the last release of Blender as to set the armature
into the pose for any given key frame and then determine how each bone
in that armature was oriented in that key frame pose.  This allowed me
to get the animation I wanted by only use 5 key frames for each bone.

With the new bones implementation, it doesn't appear that there is any
way to determine the orientation of a bone in a pose.  It seems that the
only way for me to get the needed information would be to bake the
animation so that IPO information would be available for each bone.

This has two problems.  I have to make sure an animation is baked before
I can be sure it will export properly, and I'm generation way more key
frames than are really necessary.  How would I be able to export the
same amount of information I used to in Blender 2.37 with what's planned
for the new implementation?