[Bf-python] event ID questions (long post - sorry)

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Aug 17 11:37:46 CEST 2005

On 16.8.2005, at 15:31, Thomas Bleicher wrote:

>> BTW, a while ago Martin DeMello reported he got a new scriptlink event
>> working, listeners:
>> http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2005-May/
>> 010727.html
>> http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-python/2005-May/002754.html
>> Maybe that can be useful for scripts like yours, if you decide to use
>> an
>> external gui lib, and Stani's Spe:
>> http://www.stani.be/python/spe/blog/
> I'd like to avoid any external dependencies. If it's not possible to
> solve this in BPy I won't do it (not for the core functions
> components).

That new scriptlink event, listeners, is *not* an external dependency,
but a(n / possible) addition to the official Blender core. I guess the
fact that you might well benefit from it too is an argument for getting
it in.. I don't know the status of that otherwise (that's why I asked
it in my earlier reply), am now getting a timeout from
projects.blender.org too so can't go back to check those messages).

> At least there is no fundamental reason why threads don't work, so
> mayby I'll give it another try. For most of my 'long running processes'
> an external daemon process will probably be the best solution. The
> interface just has to check if the result is already available and can
> go on drawing immediatly.

Same would be achieved without threads in an event-driven fashion with
that listener scriptlink.

> Thomas

~Toni