[Bf-python] Patch: Draw.Image() -- new method.

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 8 05:16:24 CET 2004

joeedh wrote:

> I have to admit, all I intended to do was to modify the Image module
> to have a getGLBuffer method.  My knowledge of OpenGL doesn't include
> texture-mapping as yet, although as I understand it Image.glBindCode
> (or whatever it was) was supposed to allow this, but unfortunately
> required the image to be active and visible inside the UV image editer
> window.

That method might be useful in addition to my plain image drawing method...

For example, in December, I plan to work on identifying and tracking
"markers" in images.  I plan to write a module to do this, which can
then be used for applications like camera matching for video sequences,
tracking a real object in order to replace it with a virtual one (a
lightsabre effect could be automated in this way), or tracking a real
object to acquire mocap data.   If I can access the raw image data from
a Blender.Image object then I can prototype my code in Python first (and
maybe use Pyrex for a final module if I'm smart about it).  I already
have non-GUI code to do this (it works well :-) written in Java using
the JAI.

[NB: Besides just being "a nice thing to have", my plain image drawing
method is required because drawing zoomed, non-pixel-aligned images with
an origin outside of the scissor rectangle is not currently possible
using BGL, even if a getGLBuffer()-type method were available.  To make
it possible, it would be necessary to update BGL.glBitmap() to allow a
NULL bitmap pointer to be passed.]

Jonathan Merritt.