[Bf-python] Adding help info to scripts (alternative proposal)

Wouter van Heyst larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 4 17:43:15 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 02:23:22AM -0800, www.stani.be wrote:
> Hi Willian,
> Adding the help browser is certainly an useful thing.
> Unfortunately it's a pitty that you want to implement
> in an non pythonic way. Python has already a solution
> for this, so reinventing the wheel is a pitty. I'd
> like to ask you to really reconsider the
> implementation as it will make more sense for regular
> python programmers. Otherwise bf-python becomes a
> dialect from python, which will demotivate regular
> python programmers to play with Blender (this already
> a bit the case with get and set methods instead of
> using __getitem__ and __setitem__). Normally a python
> program would look like this:

I agree with Stani, the help browser is a good thing, but if the
implementation were to be more pythonic, python programmers can just
seamlessly use the Blender stuff and vice versa, no new approaches to
learn.

Stani mentions some advantages, in my eyes the most important thing is
that people can 'carry over' their experience from working with one
(python) project to the other. I feel I can't express myself very well
right now, but I think you get what I mean.

Willian, are there any technical or other reasons not to go the python
route?

Wouter van Heyst

(having a pythonic api is something much larger, not sure how to tackle
that, but Theo de Ridder might have something to say about that)