[Bf-python] External scripts

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Sun May 30 07:04:46 CEST 2004

Gilbert, Joseph wrote:

>>However, blender3 is another story.  There is already a
>>secret underground movement to implement blender as python
>>extensions.  At that point, the blender/python integration
>>will be seamless.  Soon we will rule the world! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>

>Does this mean it would be integrated or would the full distro of python
>have to be installed still?

I would assume this plan involves having chunks of Blender implemented
as Python extension modules (ie: Python calling the C code to do
stuff).  In that world view, Python would be "in charge", or at least
gluing everything together at a higher level, and the Blender extension
modules would performing the lower-level stuff that needs to execute
quickly.  I've read about tool chains that are built with Python at
places like Disney:
    http://python.oreilly.com/news/disney_0201.html

This sort of approach would leverage the best aspects of both Python and
C.  Python is excellent for rapid development of sophisticated systems
that sometimes don't necessarily need to execute blindingly fast (note
my caveats ;-), while C is good for writing fast code that isn't
particularly smart.  (This is all IMHO, of course...  Blender is an
example of C code that's pretty smart... ;-)

Jonathan Merritt.