[Bf-python] Object Properties from Python?

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri May 28 06:16:28 CEST 2004

Hi Joe, Jonathan and all,

(about properties)

Ton once suggested wrapping Properties, that's a good idea.  But better not as a
Blender.Object submodule, since it can be useful for other parts like Material.
Note though that Blender's interface needs to have support for these dynamic
buttons and that is not yet available besides where you know, from what I
recall.  This is a good time to bring the issue back and see if we can have them
for objects and materials, at least, it should not be hard to add the necessary
hooks to the interface so created buttons get visible.

Jonathan Merrit: about adding more data to objects using the script's gui, it
can be saved in the .blend file if you store the info in a Blender text object
and warn the user with a comment at the top of the text to not hand-edit it.
Kind of cumbersome, but it's a way already available.  I've been playing with
getting some standards ready now for what scripts should do / where to save
data, etc., as part of the "bg" work recently.  Your idea is a good one, though
it means adding a dependancy on the data format used by Python to save the
streams.  We can use the old protocol, but even then we can't be sure they won't
throw it away in a future version, giving trouble with old .blend files around.