[Bf-python] armature makeparent ?

Gilbert, Joseph jgilbert at tigr.org
Wed May 26 16:47:36 CEST 2004

Yea. This is something that has to be done. (tell me if im wrong but) I
thought that what happens is that armatures are 'linked' to meshes
through vertex groups ('aka. Deform groups' in the source) Every group
has a single bone from a mesh associated with it. Vertices can be a part
of mutliple vertex groups. Each bone/defgroup combo weights on a vertex
by a specific amount too. So you end up with this:
Vertex group A - bone A -[ vert A (weight .5), vert B (weight .2) ]
Vertex group B - bone B -[ vert A (weight .5), vert B (weight .8) ]

Anyway this is what I think happens. I'll have to go and check though.
So the idea of linking meshes and armatures really has to incorporate
vertex groups. There are some methods that were added to Nmesh way back
when but they need to be redone in light of the new armature code. This
should allow you to mesh link to an armature.

All this armature code may be screwed up with the improvements to the
main code regarding armatures that is being proposed - well see.