[Bf-python] Crashes

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Sun May 16 21:44:12 CEST 2004

Hi Anders,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anders Nilsson" <breakin at home.se>
To: <bf-python at blender.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 4:09 PM
Subject: [Bf-python] Crashes

(...)
> Now I'd like to know if this is something known and a big
> problem or if it's something small that I could try to isolate and
> report as a bug report (like "if I do this and that then it crashes").

Please report any bug or crash, they are not supposed to be there.

> Also it would be nice with some kind of debug mode that outputs some
> info from the GC to the console after each script is run (like number of
> lost references), don't know if that is possible though...

Python does that if it is compiled in debug mode.  About wrong ref counts, that
shouldn't happen, because each script runs with its own global dict that is
freed when the script ends execution normally or not.  At least that's how it
must work.

About the Material module, you're right, it needs updates because it wasn't much
touched after new shaders and ray-tracing, for example, came in.  First it was
good to wait for new features to stabilize (and there's always a lot of other
things to work on), so we wouldn't have to change the api later, but those
features seem mature enough now.  And about why it is the way it is, Material
was one of the old 2.25 modules, it was rewritten but changes should not break
compatibility.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br