[Bf-python] material lists

Yann Vernier yann at algonet.se
Sun Jul 18 16:51:43 CEST 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:46:10PM +0200, Yann Vernier wrote:
> Experimenting with this, I found the interface is a bit inconsistent and
> odd. Example at http://donkey.dyndns.org/~yann/blender/matlist.zip shows
> two .blend files, tricolor used as a library and trilink linking to it.
> The left quad, including its material index, was added to tricolor after
> trilink was made; the bottom quad uses a material index set to be
> per-Object, and has different materials in tricolor and trilink. That
> one had no material when loaded into trilink originally. Curiously,
> there's a UI bug here; I could add, but not edit, an object in the empty
> data material slot, which naturally didn't get saved as the data was in
> another file. Making Object materials over Data materials does not
> seem to work for library linked data, but it is quite possible for
> ordinary data. The fact that I could go back and forth, adding material
> slots, seems to mean it's not too terribly fragile.

Well, it isn't complete, either. The different length material lists do
lead to problems (faces not showing up, mismatches between materials
shown in linked and original data). The holes do not, and that's what
the patch changed, besides from stopping the length match function from
crashing.

--
PGP fingerprint = 9242 DC15 2502 FEAB E15F  84C6 D538 EC09 5380 5746