[Bf-python] BpyMenus naming conventions

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Aug 23 14:02:09 CEST 2004

Hi,

On 22 Aug 2004, at 2:39 PM, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> No problem with your suggestions.  It can be simpler, like FaceSelect,

Well, I'd still prefer to be more specific, for extensibility's sake.
For example, if people started writing scripts that act on selected
faces, it might be convenient to put them in the 'Face' menu in face
select mode, so we'll need to differentiate between the Select menu and
Face menu.

> and the "pretty print" strings for menus can be done with a second
> function as I told you, but a well defined naming convention is not a
> bad idea.  About having all scripts in the Scripts menu, it'll surely
> need to be reduced, of course.  No problem there.  The issue I'm
> thinking about is this:
>
> I'll add a way to display help info from scripts, similar to the menu
> registration code-wise:

This sounds excellent!

> (*) - So how to access the help?  One way is by having a "Help" menu
> in the Scripts win header, just like the Scripts menu, but that opens
> the help page instead of running the chosen script (actually more than
> one Help menu for size matters, maybe "Help A-F" and "Help G-Z" --
> something like that).  Another way is opening the help for a script if
> you select the script from a menu while say CTRL is pressed.  This is
> cumbersome because some users won't know it, and others can start
> trying all menu entries for help texts, not knowing which ones refer
> to scripts.  A third option is adding small square buttons to the
> script menu entries, like "?" for help and "C" for config (some
> automated config system will be added later).

Yes, this is tricky. Another option could be to show a 'help' icon on
the Scripts window header when it's running, but I suppose this is no
good for scripts without GUIs. On the other hand, do scripts without
GUIs really need help? :P Perhaps some might, I don't know...

I'm curious about what you have in mind for this 'config' option too!

Matt