[Bf-python] Packaging issues

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Sat Apr 10 02:59:32 CEST 2004

Hi Alex,

Sounds like a great script : ).

First of all, I suggest you take a look at how other big projects like
MakeHuman do the packaging.  You can use the .blend format, storing even
your readme's as plain texts there.

About Python's site package dir, it doesn't seem a good place, since
bpython scripts that use the Blender.* modules can't be executed outside
Blender -- they are more like .bpy than .py scripts, I mean.

Remember that there are two possible locations for scripts to be
registered in menus: the default scripts dir and the one users can set
at Blender's User Preferences, path's tab.  If users prefer to unpack
your script instead of using a .blend file, that's a good dir for that.

I'll add more menu entries soon, following the names being used at the
new scripts section at blender3d.org, don't forget to put the menu data
in your script, it'll probably be "WIZARDS" (good name, I couldn't find
one that would cover these "app" scripts myself).

And, following Kent's advice, please all here who have scripts: the new
page
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Python_Scripts.3.0.html
is looking great and should become "the one place" for Blender scripts,
please tell them about yours, too.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br