[Bf-python] Vertex Influence for no-armatured objs

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Wed Sep 17 05:20:53 CEST 2003

From: <models at paposo.com>
> getData() is good for this but GetRaw() might not be because you are
> searching for a mesh datablock by name with GetRaw() and there is no
> object reference per se. Mesh datablock may have links to multiple
> objects. Here you could set object = NULL in GetRaw().

Yes, exactly.  When we can't assign to a specific 'parent' object, the
pointer will be NULL until this nmesh gets linked some way to an Object.

> Also GetRawFromObject() would be good with an object pointer.

No : ), for the reasons already mentioned.  We don't want to let users
update the vertices of a dl mesh.

> New() would just be a pointer to NULL - no prob.
> PutRaw() could just save the object it creates in a pointer - no prob.

Exactly.

> Update() just updates the NMesh's mesh data (and materials) but wouldn't
> affect an object pointers. So it would have no effect on the object
pointer.

> So you would use the mesh from getData() or the mesh from PutRaw(),
really.
> The NMesh would have a pointer to Object and you would simply use
> (Mesh*)NMesh->Object->data for all the mesh calls and
this will be the same as nmesh->mesh, so no need for the longer path.

> So I think it's a good idea, but would require a little work to put
> together.

Not that much, but right now I'm busy with the SpaceScript thing (today I
got it working : ), now I have to clean things, test for bugs, etc).  I'll
look into this as soon as possible.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br