[Bf-python] PYTHONPATH

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Sep 12 06:54:03 CEST 2003

Hi, Stani

I read your email to the other list: don't worry about that libpng issue, of
course it will be fixed for 2.29.

Thanks for finding / sharing with us the info about how to set the python
path, we'll look at how to improve the situation, maybe not for 2.29, but
we'll surely work on this.

>(...) It's a pitty that Python has to be launched
> inside Blender and that Blender can not be launched
> from Python.  Will that one time be possible?

With a rewrite of a few parts of Blender, its command line startup options
could be expanded to make it perform more actions 'automatically', in
special running scripts.  But for that to be useful we'd need more modules
and functionality wrapped in bpython, so that scripts could start
animations, render, etc.

Then it would be trivial to run these things from Python, shell languages,
anything that can run programs installed in your system.  This would be just
a poor hack, though, since Blender would still start its own interpreter.
If you wanted to interact with Blender after it was already running, it
would get event uglier, since both wouldn't be "communicating" with each
other.  Then we'd have to use some cumbersome way to pass msgs, which would
require even more changes in the Blender code.

To really let Python control Blender (or better put: making Blender modular
and friendly to external envs/programs) would require a major rewrite.  Of
course this is only what I guess, and I wouldn't call myself an experienced
programmer at all.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br