[Bf-python] PYTHONPATH

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Sep 11 07:01:21 CEST 2003

Hi, Stani

From: "www.stani.be" <s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com>
> Hi,
> Is it possible that the lib/site-packages directory is
> not listed in the PYTHONPATH belonging to Blender?

We do want to improve the situation, if possible to the point where people
wouldn't have to worry about PYTHONPATH.  I already posted here asking for
help (info on the need of setting PYTHONPATH for each different platform,
etc), though no one answered.

We should start threads in both Blender Python forums (blender.org and
elysiun) to get a summary of how things are out there and see what we can
do.  But I got busy working on Blender code and didn't do it myself yet.

> What I would like, is that when you type in the
> Blender text window:
>
>   import sys
>   print sys.path
>
> ... that the lib/site-packages path is included
> without that the user has start configuring himself.

We can include, probably (and you can, too, appending to sys.path in your
program before trying to reach libs there), but we should know the different
default places based on platform.

This may also cause problems for users that didn't install Python in the
default places, so we have to be careful.  Maybe we shouldn't do it
ourselves, after all, but what we can do now, really, is to investigate the
matter.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br