[Bf-python] python 2.3

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Sun Nov 30 20:38:20 CET 2003

Hi Joe,

> Alot of people seem to complain that blender's python engine is not
> compatible with 2.3.

That is because the released versions are still linked against Python
2.2.x.  I've been compiling with Python 2.3.2 for a while already.  From
what we've talked (and from what I remember, not sure now), 2.32 could
start using Python 2.3.x.

> Even better is it possible to imbed all of the python code
> in blender so people don't have to download and install python?

You don't need Python installed to use Blender, you only need it for
scripts that try to import modules that don't come with Blender, like os
and most others which are part of a default Python install.

We still haven't investigated alternatives:

-- is there a way to link more stuff from Python in Blender?
-- or can we bundle a minimal package of Python modules and offer it as
a much smaller alternative to installing Python?
-- will the new import mechanism (from zipped files) in Python 2.3.x
help?

This is part of the work of better integrating Python in Blender and
solve old troubles.  But probably other parts of the work will be done
before looking properly at this (and then we'll already be using py
2.3.x).

Of course someone could choose to go ahead now and ask at the Python
developers mlist about what projects do when they need to bundle more
modules with their embedded Python interpreters.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br