[Bf-python] Blender use of PIL?

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Nov 28 18:50:46 CET 2003

Hi Matt,

> In any event. this is the output of the paths as requested.
> shell:
(...)

Thanks, that makes it clear.  I looked at what Python itself does, it's
in a file called site.py, but the same comment is reproduced in the
Global Module Reference doc for the site module.  Python looks for files
with the .pth extension to add external package directories to sys.path.

So you probably have a PIL.pth file (whose content is simply its name:
PIL) in your site-packages dir.  Curiously, in my system wxPython is
there, too, but has no .pth file and so doesn't appear listed in
sys.path, but can be imported anyway.

What we can do for Blender is probably also check for those .pth files
and add each name inside them to our path under /site-packages, provided
these names refer to some file or dir there, like Python does.  At least
in my system this seems necessary, Blender can't "see" site-package's
children dirs.

Thanks again, making bpython find its way to user's Python installations
is an important objective for us, since it's an old annoying problem.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br