[Bf-python] matrix multiplication problem

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Tue Nov 25 05:51:54 CET 2003

Hi Joe,

> This is the typical way blender uses matrix muliplication. However,
correct
> me if Im wrong but i think this is not correct.

Matrix order: 3d programming APIs like OpenGL and others don't store
matrix indices in the standard math order we learn, row-major.  OpenGL
uses column-major order (actually it stores m[4][4] as m[16], I guess).

BTW, the Matrix and Quaternion faq that now you can get here is a pretty
good resource (saw that they have two other faqs there, too, curve and
vector):

http://www.j3d.org/matrix_faq/

A search also came up with this:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/transpose_matrix.txt

Another thing to consider when things don't look ok in 3d math is if
you're pre- or post-multiplying a matrix by a vector.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br