[Bf-python] Interactive console + extension module.

Michel Selten michel.s at home.nl
Fri May 16 20:19:19 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 13:44, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:
> > > 2.
> > > How difficult would it be to somehow set up the whole of Blender to run as
> > > an extension module for Python?
> There are many issues with Blender's source.  Specially the kernel.  You
> can find many comments in the source code, made by ex-NaN programmers,
> about the need to rewrite it.  Let's remember that Blender doesn't even
> have UNDO.  The way Blender is now, it could be hard (specially because
> the efort would be better employed in rewriting the key parts) to allow
> it to do that.
>
> This is another point where writing exppython is important.  We're
> getting experience that will be useful when Ton and the guys start
> talking about a redesign.  Usually people mention Blender 3.0 when they
> think about such big changes, right Michel?

The current sources can be considered as some beautiful spaghetti code.
For some of the major feature requests to be implemented, a lot of that
code needs to be restructured/rewritten. This is something that is
indeed intended for Blender 3.0. But it is - to me at least - very
unclear how this will be done. There are two possibilities for this:
start from scratch and copy the parts from the current source base, or
do this incrementally. This is a discussion that should take place at
the main list, but I think it will not be within some months before
that's going to happen. Perhaps after Siggraph.

The work we are currently doing (Python wise) is still done on 2.x. But,
unless major changes are made to the data structures of Blender, the
current implementation can be ported to Blender 3.0. That's at least
something that I would hope :) I'm quite happy about the modular
structure that's now in place - porting this (even to C++) should not be
difficult.

With regards,
	Michel