[Bf-python] armatures again

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Wed May 14 06:02:20 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 17:28, Michel Selten wrote:
> Anyway, after this intro, my idea would be to leave out the "get"
> variant and just go for the "Get" function. I think it would be good if
> all functions are starting with a capital.

Sure, we can tell in the docs the "g"et will go away later.

> The getName & setName functions can probably be applied to the other
> modules as well, or am I mistaken? In that case, I think we should add
> them (maybe after 2.28).

They are already there, only thing is that setName is called rename.

> Maybe another decision that we need to make is: which attributes are
> going to be implemented in the 'get_attr' and 'set_attr' functions?
> Currently most of the attributes are implemented - because of history.
> But now that we are adding those separate functions, do we need another
> method for accessing those variables? Providing more options to the user
> is nice, but remember that each additional line of code contains a
> potential bug and needs maintenance.

One thing the previous programmers kept in mind and we should, too, is
that there are many ways to write an API: the OpenGL "state-machine"
way, the OO way, etc.  It's good to let things look as much as normal
python code as possible, so I think we should keep the "direct" access
way (though it actually calls the get/set functions).  After all,
getAttr and setAttr are useful pieces of code, very common in Python
embedding/extending and, again, they look like the "python way".

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br